Saturday, October 12, 2019

Orb Weaver Spider Sightings!

This spider is fascinating to all of us in the family on some level. Our homeschool background has taught us to be observant of nature. When Megan and I first noticed one of these webs at the local market early one morning we took the time to examine it’s web and take pictures. 

A few days later God blessed us with our very own in the front yard. We watched it, checked it out up close and researched if it was poisonous. Each of us was anxious to see if the web would still be intact in the morning... it was not, and “spiderman” was gone. 

He re-appeared the next night - and perhaps a second one even made a web further down the lawn on the tree. We are now experiencing very strong winds and are concerned “spiderman” may have blown away. 

I guess we will wait and see... If my children were little I know this would have launched into a week long journey into the study of spiders, but I will take what I can get as my homeschooling transforms. The conversations, jokes and observations have been a great way to slow down our busy pace. 

What have you been observing lately? Feel free to share in the comments.





There are some really great pictures of Orb- Weavers on this website: https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Arboreal-Orb-Weaver

No comments: